Sunday, December 6, 2009

56 mile day!

At last we reached the Santa Cruz sign. Jodi said she wanted to kiss
it. 56 miles is not a crazy day in Mpls on flat trails, but when you add in big hills and the weight inthose bags,
bags-- it was a big day!! The hostel people said so anyway.

We pulled off Highway 1 just inside the edge of town and called the hostel. They didn't answer and we hadn't made reservations. We were
pooped and grumpish. Then a local guy on a bike named Alan rolled up and asked if we knew where we were going. No, we didn't. Well, he
lives not far from the hostel so he offered to bring us there. Woo goo! Off the highway and onto nice residential streets for a couple miles while Alan told me a bit about bike touring in Indonesia and such... Boom one more little steep hill and we were at the hostel. Thanks Alan, we needed that. He offered us space at his bike friendly house if the hostel was full. But the hostel had space.

I hope I don't find out later that Alan's house has a big hot tub I could be sitting in right now, hehe.

We continue to meet nice people. We booked a private room for two nights for $60 a night. Tomorrow we will try surfing andtake care of some miscellany.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys are AMAZING! But, I guess I already knew that...congrats on such a big biking day! Hope you are able to rest, rejuvenate, and relax before taking of on your next big-mile day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In September we did a tour from Beaver bay to Ely, I figured on 70 mile days but I sooned learned forty was far enough. 56 can feel monumental with gear and hills. I recomend a new course of action; every day plan to start slow and taper off :)

    B Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! It's Alan . No, sorry our giant hottub was confiscated by the police last year. Even California has it's limits on debauchery. Sorry our hills are too big here and the tide was low...hey isn't that a Blondie song? I will hit you up next time I am riding through Cohen Bros, country, yah?. Hope it all goes well and you make it safely to San Diego. Ever want to try an out of country tour, I am your man.

    Mucho bueno suerte,

    Alán

    ReplyDelete